Friday, September 7, 2007

Reaction to Podcasts

For anyone who may be reading this who is not Kim Gregson, I am a senior at Ithaca College majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications. As part of my audience research class, I was instructed to listen to a couple podcasts (Across the Sound by Joe Jaffe and Marketing Edge by Albert Maruggi) and post my reactions to this method of getting industry information before getting into the topic I will be discussing for the rest of the semester (advertising in video games).

Unfortunately, the link we were given to Across the Sound wasn't working, and my extremely limited experience with podcasts kept me from finding it elsewhere. However, I found Marketing Edge to be extremely interesting.

I do have a couple initial complaints about podcasts that I'd like to get out of the way quickly. First of all, they are somewhat difficult to focus on. I am not an audio-oriented person, and if I can't see something that corresponds to what I am hearing, I tune out. So, unless they start broadcasting these things as very catchy songs, I doubt I will be listening to very many more of them. Secondly, I don't like not being able to skim when I am trying to get information. I was listening to an episode about viral advertising, which was interesting, but I think I would have been happier if it had all just been text and I could have read only the parts that I actually cared about.

Having gotten that out of the way, I have to say that I was very impressed by the Marketing Edge Website as a whole. It had some great information on just about everything in the marketing industry, and the podcasts themselves were relatively interesting and informative. One thing I did like about this format was that I could write myself notes as Maruggi was speaking, which made the whole thing kind of like a lecture - kinda hard to pay attention too, but informative and helpful.

Anyway, looking forward to delving into the topic of advertising in video games next week.

Rachel

No comments: